Sunday, February 19, 2006

Rob; My Wannabe Savior

Rob, Robert, Bob, Bobby, I swear his name changes with his moods.

Rob offered to fly over, pack me in his suitcase and fly me back to New York with him, I tell you, some days it's very tempting. I talk with so many people online, I know most of them I'll never meet, some of them I wouldn't want to meet, and some I wish could cross continents to find me.

It's kinda sad really, talking to someone you will never see, never touch, never hear them call your name.

It's funny, when I first started speaking to Rob I didn't like him much, he seemed to know everything, so naturally I assumed, 'typical American.' (Friends excluded of course.) Then one day he mentioned something and I quoted the reference and we just hit it off. We are great friends, we're always discussing Lovecraft's work, or some other obscure cult following that no one around us understands and occasionally we get together and mind fuck people, that's always fun. We get alot of annoying people where we chat so there is never short supply.

So many other friends I 've made out of similar details, sure I've made a few enemies too, but I don't mind if people hate me. It's the world of the web, but that's all it will ever be, a keyboard, a screen and an anti-social.

5 comments:

Sovereign Syre said...

I've been having similar thoughts lately. When you think about it,the things that people reveal on the web in many ways is a lot more personal than the things they share at home. Perhaps because of the safety of the anonymity the web provides. I often wonder if I would be the same person if I actually met most of the people that I know online.

ann said...

wow.... sorry to disappoint you. I am who I am and I can't pretend to be otherwise.

maybe I would be shyer in a room full of people because my voice wouldn't get heard, but here I can say my tuppence worth without being hushed.

of course if you don't like it you can delete it....

I've encountered some great people here and I trust them all. But I don't know how to mind**** people. Just explain to me why or how it's fun.

Sovereign Syre said...

oh hannala, don't be coy....its an innate female gift!

Alisso said...

That's how I started out thinking about the internet. And I must admit, my first few meetings with internet people didn't go quite as well as I might have hoped, and I was tempted to leave things the way they were, but for the most part, these days, the net is how I stay in touch with the people I know who don't live near enough for me to spend time with.

I used to be able to count the people I'd met from the internet on one hand. Now it's the ones I haven't met yet that are much easier to count. And half of them are overseas.

Sovereign Syre said...

I would love to meet all of you guys...sometimes it sucks because you can't take your computer out for a beer on friday night.