Sunday, November 27, 2005

What happens at camp stays at camp!

Lets see, where to start...

Two hours after the road trip began I discovered I'd lost my house keys, they are probably sitting on the toilet floor of a McDonald's somewhere. After about 20 pit stops (why they can't eat in the car is beyond me, I managed it whilst driving) we got to the site.

It rained on the first night and my new $30 tent couldn't take it, consequently I woke up in a swimming pool. A possum broke into our food storage and ate all our bread, kangaroo excrement everywhere. We drove into town where I charged a small fortune to my credit card in the hope of water proofing my tent. Spent the rest of the day drying out my belongings and writing a few horror stories to tell round the campfire (My friends have never read my writings, I don't really know why they asked me to write anything considering I don't read horror let alone know how to write it).

The next day I got sunburnt, very, very sunburnt and may I just say OUCH. It rained again, only the base of my sleeping bag got wet, which wouldn't have been a problem except that we had to pack up our campsite in the pelting down rain (the slight cold I left home with has now grown into some sort of chest and viral infection, must go to the doctor after I've dried out the tent). On the way to my car to leave a tree branch decided to dig itself into my foot, which is now the size of a football. On the way back someone was most inconsiderate as to crash their vehicle/s causing the police to shut down the road, after waiting half an hour for the road to open, we decided to take the long mountain road. I get carsick as a passenger, not as a driver, but this road was worse than a roller coaster, I didn't throw up but boy did I have a head spin. I have two other wounds bleeding, not quite sure how they came about, my friends melted my picnic set, every single item in the set and they broke my new Jack Daniels chair.

I can't say I had a bad time, it just wasn't that great. I didn't get any painting done, but I can share with you one of the short yarns I wrote while I was down there.



The Creature

Night time was approaching. The creature watched the two young lovers carefully, never lowering its gaze for a second. It crouched hidden in the bushes, its claws digging into the ground in anticipation of what was to come. The couple moved closer to each other. The creatures breathing grew heavy, its tongue salivating with froth as it licked its hideous lips. It wanted to strike right away, the temptation was so great its claws had formed into fists and were clenched so tight that it had torn its own flesh.
The darkness set in as the couple started fondling each other. The creature's eyes grew wider and it started creeping forward, ever watchful of all around itself. The couple must have heard movement, they released each other and looked around. The creature froze, its eyes a piercing blood-red in the moonlight. The couple soon regained their false sense of security and continued their affections.
The creature sprung across the road and stopped directly under the chair the couple were occupying. It was so close now its heart was racing. If the couple were not so engaged with each other they would most certainly have heard the foul breathing of the loathsome creature that hid just below them. Its gruesome, ghastly claws reached forward toward the legs of the female occupant. It paused briefly then the creature lunged at its prey, allowing for no mercy, it ripped, and gouged, and dug in hard and deep.

The couple looked down, the male turning to his girl said, "Look, that filthy possum has eaten our bread."



Hope you liked it.

6 comments:

eliza said...

nice to see you're back.The trip sounds a bit of a nightmare.You make sure you go to the DRs you hear? Okay that's the mum in me coming out again.

Love the story,especially the twist at the end LMAO.

Eliza xxxx

ann said...

visit me and vote


message from Hannala ... nice to see you back. will try to visit later, but am going out shortly

Criminal Minds Fan said...

Oh Dear: This sounds like the trip to hell. I loved the story too. Always in awe of your writing ability. I second Eliza in saying you definately need to go to the Dr. Glad you are back.

ann said...

Hi, shame the trip was a disaster, but did you really expect any different - that is just sooooooo typical. Hope you're feeling better now you're home safe and sound.

I loved the story; was getting more nervous with each line, which of course was just how it was meant to be.

take care

lotsa luv Ann xxxxxx

Shadow of a Joke said...

I sacrificed the doctors for the ability to sleep in till midday. I think I made the right decision. Tent is up drying in the backyard, sleeping bag is drying in the house, tarp is waiting to dry. Foot hasn't returned to normal size, will have to get that looked at.

Faye_Hart said...

God that was great. Read it to Delaney, she was crying from laughing so hard.