Monday, November 07, 2005

Left Alone in a Right-Handed World

I live in a backward lifestyle; it's hard to move forward when almost everyone is going the other way. Everything started as a challenge for my kind, what came easy to most, we had to strive to achieve. In my youth I was ridiculed for my actions, and everyone felt the need to tell me what I was and still do, just in case I'd made it this far in the world without ever having been told before. The world is slowly evolving to see us as the masters, we; the creative artists, we; the inventive thinkers, but its not fast enough for me. I am locked in the eternal battle with the can opener, I'm torn asunder with scissors and I'm at loose ends with every other right-handed contraption. For years we have had to force ourselves to use these backward devices, the alternative being to go without that which is rightfully ours. In my country, Ole British rule has kept us driving on the left-hand side of the road, so consequently here I can use a stick shift with my left hand, as well as a column shift, but it still means that whilst driving, I'm forced to smoke with my right hand and I drive automatic at present so who gives a rats about gears. That which you take for granted has infuriated me for years, pens that you twist to make them work, they twist back to nothing when I use them, I hate calligraphy pens as well, ink on the underside of my hand, smudging on the page, the ring binders and seams are always on the left side, right-handed chainsaws, edgers, baseball mitts, keyboards and mouse, etc. Don't get me wrong people, I don't hate what I am, I love being left handed, I just think that it's time the world came round to my way of thinking...
Because there's no point being insane if you can't force it upon others!

3 comments:

ann said...

Hadn't you noticed, our darling Bobby's left handed too.

And poor ol' moi. I'm a righty with a poorly right shoulder trying to do everything with my left hand - ambidextrous I am NOT

eliza said...

My duaghters a leftie too.Thankfully the Early Learning Centre did scissors etc for her.Not so easy now she's older.Maybe we need Ned Flanders to open a shop in every city.LOL
Eliza xx

Shadow of a Joke said...

I've had to become ambidextrous, but I hate adapting, I liked being just left handed.