Tuesday, November 08, 2005

With Eyes Wide Open

What is it like to go away, to leave it all behind? I used to ponder what it would be like to run away, to escape the past; in fact, I've done it several times. And now I'm running again, but for once in my life, I'm not running away from my past, I'm running toward my future. I'm looking at my life, not at life itself and although I've always said that you have to make a great impact to change the world, I now realize that the smallest detail can make the greatest impact. We each, in our own lives, touch the lives of those around us, it may only be the smallest instance, but it can make the world of a difference. Why do we worry about the little things, why do we worry at all? A great man once said "Can't we all just get along," I wonder, was anyone listening? I see the news, I read the papers, I know of the wars and the bombings. How can anyone justify death by taking more lives? I strive to believe that I am above that; I wish the world did too. I've heard great men site fanatically wonderful statements and I've heard foolish men talking beside them, duping us into believing that they are just as great. Some say that the time for talking is over, and words are merely that, sprouting garbage and achieving little. Now I don't know the right words, but I do know what lies in the hearts of people, once you dispense with words, violence always follows suit, must we waste our lives, our children's lives staring down the barrel of a gun? Would you send your only child out to die? If only we could learn from the mistakes of others rather than suffer these grave injustices ourselves. A lot of people read my words in the hope of being inspired, if only I could change the world as easily as it is to change their hearts. I've often wondered what man would be so foolish as to lead us to war, now I know, and of all the reasons, it comes down to peer pressure, the need to be accepted by those in a higher position. I question then, do schoolyard rules still apply, what happens if your brother is bigger than mine? If only it were that simple, then perhaps innocent lives would not be lost. Look at the enemy, what do you know about them, why do they hate us so? We don't even know each other well enough to hate each other. Yes you may be hurting, but you are not alone in that, would you sacrifice even more for something you know nothing about. I wish I could write something that would have a deep enough impact, that would open the eyes of the world and free our minds to the great level of ingeniousness that is in every single one of us, forget infinite justice, what we need is infinite peace. How many more must die before we realize our mistakes? If you are unhappy, it is because something is wrong, fix the problem, don't make it worse. We can only ever be as different as we make ourselves, what would you rather say, "I killed a man today" or "I saved a mans life today" saving someone else brings one of the greatest feelings you could ever have, because you know that man will remember you and thank you for the rest of his life, you've made a difference. Killing someone also makes a difference, when you kill someone, you loose a part of yourself and that is irretrievable. I'm sorry I've rambled on, this wasn't meant to be political, it was meant to be about growing up and understanding the value of life, in a way, it still is for me, but when you finish reading this, will you be any different? I am just like you, human, my blood is red, I breath air and I want a peaceful freedom just like you. Now after all that I have written, after all that we have shared, has it ever occurred to you that I may be your enemy? You don't know. Our only enemy is our hatred for each other, it's not political, it's not religious, it's just different people with different ideas and they all think they are right. I love my country, but I am not a patriot, I hate wars, but I will fight for what I believe in, I may not know you, I may not know your way of thinking, but one thing I do know is that we only have a short time on this earth, we shouldn't waste it by ending the lives of others. When was the last time you made someone else happy? Just a simple smile could mean the world to others. It's like I always say "it's the little things that make the world a better place" and who knows, maybe your life will become bearable once more.

3 comments:

ann said...

Your thoughts are very profound; you are echoing how most people feel. They want to live in a world of peace and harmony, filled with love and joy.

It is the governments and zealots who are corrupt, who spread hatred and warmongering. These people stir up incitement to conceal their own gross misdeeds. They want us to see a picture on a grandscale proportion to cover a canvas they don't want us to see.

I don't believe in my lifetime there will be world peace, but we have to make the most of what we as individuals can do to make the world a better place

My philosophy is to do unto others as you would wish done unto yourself; on an individual level, treat people decently and with respect and you will be treated accordingly.

Shadow of a Joke said...

I wish everyone could adopt that belief.

Shadow of a Joke said...

Only some of them ROD, if you're going to spam your crap on my blog, you may as well enjoy ALL of them :P