Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The remake

The remake, how I hate the remake, very rarely does it actually improve the song, thank god the original singers are dead, yet even now, I'm sure they are rolling in their graves. Why is it these poncy little upstarts think the only way they'll achieve success is to completely slaughter someone else's songs. There is only one thing worse than the remake and that's the remix, what's the fascination with dissecting a song, ripping it apart and adding some shit computer sounds. What upsets me the most, I believe is that kids today are so mentally backward that they actually enjoy it, and not only do they enjoy it, they have the gall to call it music. You can't dance to it and NO, jumping up and down making a complete ass of yourself is not dancing, it's having a fit. I wasn't forced into ballroom dancing for five years so I could stand on a dance floor and be groped by some de-sexed lowlife whose only intent is a five-minute root and to forget my name in the morning, that's if it has bothered to find out my name in the first place, but I'm getting off the topic. I haven't always hated the remake, musicians used to try and make a bit of an effort, but now they don't even bother. Take for example, The Fugees "killing me softly" I don't think I've ever heard a song killed so painfully, with the exception of Flacco's take on Roy Orbison's "Sandman" but that pain was intentional. I would add the words "no offence" but I am offended and you should be too. Is the music world that daft that they don't think we'll recognize a remake when we hear one? If you're not deaf, you'll wish you were, and if you listen to this shit long enough, I'm sure you'll go deaf. Whatever happened to the days when songs were copyrighted and copying them came with a hefty fine? I'm not saying that older music is better, some of the performers from the eighties should be strung up and shot. I'm sure you've all heard your parents say, "it's not music, it's just noise" and I'm saying they're right, the toilets been flushed and the real music has gone down the drain.


I'm sure all of you have at least one song that you liked and has been remade into crap. Tell us the songs.

14 comments:

Axe said...

Oh, Shadow, I could write books about this shit too!!!
I was just complaining about it yesterday!
The worst for me was some c*nt torturing NOTHING ELSE MATTERS by Metallica into an R&B piece of uneventful crap!!! Don't we have enough female "vocalists" who all sound EXACTLY the same, assaulting our ears with unoriginal music?

Axe said...

And the worst thing is when an artist remakes their own song, as if to say: "I'm not talented enough to think of a new one"

Like Alanis, who took a perfectly fine bunch of hits and now just drags them out slower, so that they are more irritating.If you cannot improve on art, change your fucking profession.

Shadow of a Joke said...

hehehe, I think I struck a chord.

That's why I hated all that Idol stuff on tv, not only did they use other peoples songs, they intentionally tried to make it their own.

Mike said...

Remakes are highly useful for driving other people out of the room, though.

Can you think of a time a song was made better by a remake?

Mike said...

I was trying to come up with the ones that have been driving me nuts - both songs and movies with crappy remakes - but maybe it's just too late for me at the moment.

Shadow of a Joke said...

yes there are the movies as well. I hated the remake of the thomas crown afair, I hated the talented mr ripley, didn't mind the parent trap, didn't like freaky friday. Carlie and the chocolate factory was just wierd.

Song there are way too many for me to list.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I completely agree. Of course, I can't think of any remakes right now (LOL) but two of the worst offenders that come to mind are Michael Bolton (where is he now?) and Mariah Carey. Now I think Mariah did make some of her own stuff, but she turned me off so much with her initial re-do's that I just can't listen to her.

Shadow of a Joke said...

I quite liked Oceans 11, but it didn't need a sequel. Naturally there was no way they could top a rat pack movie, but they did okay.

Shadow of a Joke said...

Celien Dion, now I love her original songs, she has a great voice, but every song she borrows sounds bloody awful.

eliza said...

Any Queen songs that have been covered.They were perfect first time round and you can't improve on perfection.

Eliza xxxx

Shadow of a Joke said...

oh so very right Eliza

Faye_Hart said...

Okay, my two biggest remake heartbreaks. "I can't get no satisfaction", lot's of artists have done okay, but who the hell let Brittany Spears put it on CD. What were they thinking? Second, "When Doves Cry", Didn't catch who redid it. They were female. But as if redoing it wasn't bad enough alone, they also remixed it for clubs. Why?????????

Shadow of a Joke said...

Britiny sang that, that's just wrong.

Axe said...

Britney actually attempting to copy Joan Jett's I love Rock 'n' Roll!! That's just Blasphemy!!